Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Finally, back in action

It's been a while since I updated this blog. The reason: busy. Funny how this word gets to be a very acceptable reason.

I am now busy reading, very slowly, but reading this book on logic in deductive sciences, and Math. It seems that for all these years, we have been learning Math incorrectly-- we focus on the details and bypass the important big concepts.

It was tough having to help Math teachers look at their area of teaching expertise, and help them to sift out the big concepts that govern all the Math teaching going on in schools. I had nightmares of jumping numbers, seriously. I am really appreciative of my boss and my buddy chipping in to help-- gave me wonderful ideas to work with. The most interesting part is that both of them have "Math phobia". They went through minimum 10 years of Math education, with one of them scoring pretty well in her tests and exams, but in retrospect, finds that they have all forgotten what they had learnt. Learning has no relevance other than exams. The key here would be to find the relevance in learning, and given a fast changing world we are living in, this is something worth pondering upon. It is all the more important to me, being both a mother and an educator.

I need to move on in my reading. I might just share some interesting insights. Until then, it's time to hit the sack.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ms Lim, you have been missed in blogosphere. I'm interested in what you mean by the 'important big concepts' in learning Math. Not sure what exactly you mean, any specific examples?

    ReplyDelete
  2. O, I mean concepts like relationships, quantification, conditions. These are BIG concepts, and if u think hierarchically, under these concepts u find the different mathematical concepts. For example equations helps one understands relationships; etc.. Got it?

    ReplyDelete