Friday, May 22, 2009

Disparities...

It's either me or just coincidence. But after so many years, I am beginning to think it's more likely something to do with me. What am I talking about? I have this affinity to attract students with special needs. I can be teaching the best class in the school, and I will students who are dyslexic, or hyperactive, autistic etc.. See? It's me. Not complaining. I wish I had more time for these kids. And there are moments that I get angry with my own boy for being lazy when he is capable to do so much more.

I am currently doing a workshop in a local primary school. Working with the weak classes. I have been talking with the teacher about her class. She is a wonderful teacher, done a whole lot of good. The kids are slow but she is more concerned about teaching them values and what it means to have positive self esteem. The kids are sad. Young 10 year old, some even younger, not 10 yet, primary 3. Most come from dysfunctional families, economically deprived, plus a whole lot of problems. They don't even know what's M and Ms. In today's Singapore, that's pretty rare.

A boy caught my attention in particular. Rather unkempt, dirty school uniform, quiet most times but rather mischievous. I thought he played too hard during recess, that's why the state of the uniform, but when he came to school early in the morning still in the dirty shirt, I knew it's his family conditions. My heart went out to him. Not cared for, clothes not washed properly. For a growing child, that's sad. How would he feel? I would certainly feel inferior? Ashamed? My friend might laugh at me, shun me, because I am "dirty".

Kids are innocent. We all have little choice on how our lives begin, and when we were young, it is so important to be able to feel safe and loved. Choice is indeed a privilege, and in his case, it is one that he does not have. I salute the teacher for the great job she is doing, providing that little warmth and hope to these young lives. Sometimes you really don't have to do much, a cup of plain water given to quench a person's thirst will go very far. I always remembered this friend, in fact, she is a friend's friend. i remembered her after all these years, because I was very sick one day, that was when I was still in the University. I went to school anyway because there was this big important session we had to attend regarding our thesis. I was in our Home Room, sniffing away and she came up to me, gave me a tissue and a cup of warm water. Call me sentimental, I was so touched I almost cried. I guess i was feeling really lousy, and her attention and a simple gesture warm me. I don't know what became of her, but after all these years, I m grateful for that cup of water. Today, I hope I can have the same impact on these young lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment