Friday, June 26, 2009

On Ratatouille and life...

I like cartoons. Good ones, those that impart values of life. Gargoyles, Winnie the Pooh, Mickey Mouse, the good old Transformers and even X-Men, just to name a few.

Been watching re-runs of old cartoons. Don't know why, but felt extremely sombre after watching a re-run of Ratatouille. No, it's not about mice infecting a restaurant, it's about re-thinking life. Honestly speaking, one could consider Ego (the food critic) to be extremely "cheesy"-- if I may be allowed to use a slang. He talks about how his own values were impacted by a mere mouse who showed him, that indeed "any one can cook". What's more important, is the fundamental judgement we pass onto others based on their social status, appearance or perhaps, even societal norms.

What is being challenged here is judgement passed based on a prescribed identity-- a mouse; prescribed identity: vermin; dirty, disease carrier. Well, true to a large extent. However, there is an exception in this story. Remy, different. Born with a special talent, but misunderstood, and unhappy because he cannot comprehend within himself his prescribed identity and what he aspires. Tough.

Set me thinking about education. Kids come to us from all walks of life. Some are definitely more fortunate than others. I have seen many with great talent, but often misunderstood and most of the time, lost. I am limited in my ability to help, and as age catches up, I find myself losing the patience and the compassion to help. Sad. All I can do is sit here and philosophize about it, hate myself. It's high time I re-think my life too.

In my grand quest for a meaning to "life"- in case you missed it, do you not detect the cynicism? LOL, my humble conclusion: acceptance. It was until Remy found that acceptance, that he was at peace with himself and the world. That set me thinking about my teaching-- it's not how well I can teach, it's what I am teaching; what is really worth remembering?

No comments:

Post a Comment